How to Recover the XML for an Acivity

Recently I created an activity, then saved off the XML from Excel to a folder (let’s call it v1) to deploy using the command like tool BM.exe.

I needed to make significant changes to the activity, so significant in fact, that I needed to re-create the activity entirely, so I made a new activity (call it v2) and made the mistake of overwriting the v1 XML file. When I wanted to remove the previous (v1) activity, I realized that I had no way to remove it because BM.exe requires the use of the saved off XML file.

Being fairly new to BAM, I wondered, how do I remove the v1 activity?

Well, there is a way to recover the XML from the v1 activity.

From the command line, execute:

bm.exe get-defxml -FileName:BAMDefinition.xml

That command recovers the configuration from the BAM DB which can then be leveraged to delete the v1 version of the activity.

Note: You must edit the XML to maintain the activities you want, if you exec the remove without editing the XML first you remove ALL your activities in the DB.

Then you can then execute:

bm.exe remove-all -DefinitionFile: BAMDefinition.xml

You should never delete anything surrounding BAM by hand, this will cause major problem if you do.

No comments: