Monday, December 29, 2008
BizTalk 2009 Database Diagram PDF
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
I needed to make significant changes to the activity, so significant in fact, that I needed to re-create the activity entirely, so I made a new activity (call it v2) and made the mistake of overwriting the v1 XML file. When I wanted to remove the previous (v1) activity, I realized that I had no way to remove it because BM.exe requires the use of the saved off XML file.
Being fairly new to BAM, I wondered, how do I remove the v1 activity?
Well, there is a way to recover the XML from the v1 activity.
From the command line, execute:
bm.exe get-defxml -FileName:BAMDefinition.xml
That command recovers the configuration from the BAM DB which can then be leveraged to delete the v1 version of the activity.
Note: You must edit the XML to maintain the activities you want, if you exec the remove without editing the XML first you remove ALL your activities in the DB.
Then you can then execute:
bm.exe remove-all -DefinitionFile: BAMDefinition.xml
You should never delete anything surrounding BAM by hand, this will cause major problem if you do.
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
To solve this issue a group of developers got together and created the MSBuild Extension Pack Project. The Extension Pack provides MSBuild Tasks for BizTalk 2006, SQL 2005, SQL 2008, among others. Tasks for BizTalk include tasks for checking the existence of an Application, adding/removing References, starting/stopping Applications, and creating/deleting Applications. The Extension Pack includes a help file and samples for all this functionality.
I had a recent problem getting a pivot table to display its data on the BAM portal. I went thru a series of steps to get it working, so in case you have a similar problem here are some things to check to get the data displaying.
To frame things: I had a BAM activity with a series of data points to be tracked. I needed to extract a very simple count/sum cube from the data.
I set up the activity and went thru the view setup in Excel. I had a dimension which tracks a calling system and a then I wanted to get a count/sum of another field which was setup as an integer.
I couldn’t get it working; the view in the portal wouldn’t show any data at all. The calling system wouldn’t appear and neither would the count. I tried to set up the view as both a count (like a rowcount) and a sum and neither one showed the data.
I was pretty sure that I set the activity up correctly so I began to look at different things that could be wrong.
One of the first was to check if the SQL job "TrackedMessages_Copy_BizTalkMsgBoxDb" was running, it was.
Next, I used the SQL Management Studio to connect to Analysis Services on the server that BAM was configured on. I located the cube I was interested in, right clicked on it and select "Process...", data should have appeared. It didn’t. Something else was wrong.
I checked the associated SSIS package which is called BAM_AN_
Documentation for this can be seen here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560072.aspx
So, to get things working right, I scheduled the SSIS package to the correct time interval and things were on track.